How much water should you drink every day?
Posted On: 2018-09-03 16:00:00 ; Read: 77 time(s)

Your body is approximately 2/3 water by weight, and while we can survive weeks without food, without water your bodies major organs will start to shut down within days.

Water is essential to most bodily functions and as we don’t store water it must be replenished every day.

The amount of water required every day will vary depending on factors such as gender, body type, age, diet and how much exercise you do. Most food contains water and the digestion process produces water as a byproduct. This can account for approximately 30% of the body’s daily requirement. The remaining 70% should be consumed mainly as water, preferably free of chemicals.

As a general rule women need approximately 8 cups and men around 10 cups a day.

The Victorian Government Better Health Channel website provides the following information:

Importance of water

Water is needed for most body functions, including to:

  • maintain the health and integrity of every cell in the body
  • keep the bloodstream liquid enough to flow through blood vessels
  • help eliminate the byproducts of the body’s metabolism, excess electrolytes (for example, sodium and potassium), and urea, which is a waste product formed through the processing of dietary protein
  • regulate body temperature through sweating
  • moisten mucous membranes such as those of the lungs and mouth
  • lubricate and cushion joints
  • reduce the risk of cystitis by keeping the bladder clear of bacteria
  • aid digestion and prevent constipation
  • moisturise the skin to maintain its texture and appearance
  • carry nutrients and oxygen to cells
  • serve as a shock absorber inside the eyes, spinal cord and in the amniotic sac surrounding the fetus in pregnancy.

Symptoms of dehydration

  • thirst
  • headaches
  • lethargy
  • mood changes and slow responses
  • dry nasal passages
  • dry or cracked lips
  • dark-coloured urine
  • weakness
  • tiredness
  • confusion and hallucinations.

In Winter we are subjected to drying winds & indoor heaters and in Summer perspiration from hot weather, and both can dehydrate us very quickly.

As dehydration can have profound effects on your health it’s important to rehydrate, preferably with water that’s had harmful chemicals & parasites removed.


Comments
No Comments Found!
Write Comment
Your Name


Your Email Address


Your Comment Note: HTML is not translated!
Enter the code in the box below:

 
 
Email: info@northernsuburbswaterfilters.com.au   |   Call us on (02) 9979 5855        Website design by : www.supportyou.com.au